Sunday, February 1, 2015

Bali Again?!?! A Justification




So, sometimes my facebook feed may look a little self indulgent.   Selfies on a coastal cliff;  Hat, Sunglasses, and the perfect Frangipani blossom.  And I often wonder if people at home look at that and say, Aaargh!  Those jerks!  Bali again? Ugh.
Ok.  Yes.  We are fully embracing the ability to travel and see the world.  It's why we came.  But I'll also tell you that life in camp can be pretty confining.  You can't really separate your work life, your school life, your public face, your private challenges from the rest of camp.  In a sense here, it is "love me for EXACTLY who I am", warts and all, because you are going to see each aspect of me, good and bad, and you are going to have to tolerate it. In a way it's rather freeing, in another it can get a little raw and overexposed. 
So you balance yourself out with travel and broad horizons.  This weekend's broad horizon happened to be in Bali, and yes, with lots of lovely familes from our expat comminity in Rumbai,who we begin to consider a large extended family.  Does that seem counter-intuitive?  Hell, maybe we were just looking to go and have a really fun party in Bali.  That seems reasonable too.
But I find I have come home with a clearer head on my shoulders.  A better view of what life is all about here in camp.  And a much more patient attitude toward the small challenges.  Like the absence of bacon... Did I mention that Bali is a paradise of pork and pork products?

2 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I think you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth quite a lot! Thank you Frank! I find myself missing St Matthews more than any other community we found in Houston. Love to everyone there and especially you and Brenda.

      Delete