Saturday, January 10, 2015

Sharing the Experience: Javanese Tea Party


A very overdue post that I wasn't going to put up, but realized that the pictures and the experience were so lovely, it would be a shame not to share.  I was fortunate enough to be invited to a formal Javanese Tea held here in camp in early December.  It was an extraordinary and beautiful experience.  I've been pretty bad about writing these posts and not including pictures, but I can't do that for this tea. I've spent many hours upgrading, moving, cloud-ing, and forcing myself to get pictures in a place that is easy to post. Obviously,  I very much want to convey to you the beauty of the day and of the women attending, the graciousness of our lovely hostess,  the gorgeous display of food, and the blooming orchids everywhere.  It's too much for my vocabulary.... Pictures should help a lot.
 My friend Zineb and I with our lovely hostess, Meike Harris.
 I look like a tourist, but the traditional dancers are so beautiful and it feels so special to be able to meet them and have a picture made.
 Even the littles enjoyed the tea!
 Gorgeous plantings everywhere.
 Orchids hanging from all the walls and overhangs.
 Grass jelly in coconut milk.  Deelicious.  Cool and gelatinous.
 
 So many foods and delicious garnishes.  Peanuts and chiles and fried shallots and sambals.
 Trying on many different styles of sarong tying.
 Beautiful dancing.
 This is a version of gado-gado. Lightly cooked vegetables and tofu served with rice and a spicy peanut sauce.
 Sweets made of glutinous rice flour and cassava flour.  Sprinkled with coconut.  Delicious. Banana leaves make lovely and biodegradable plates.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the beautiful experience! Very much appreciate your sharing of the culture and your special family. Love to all!

    ReplyDelete