Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Gong Show!

A tradition here in camp is that in order to properly welcome new families to camp they must be "Gonged in."  On the first day your kid goes to school they hold opening ceremonies that include silly questions, lots of clapping, and banging that Gong.  (I can't not capitalize Gong.  Gong!  It deserves an exclamation point too.)
Our questions began with Nora answering "What animal would you like to be and why?"  She totally froze.  Her response was that she'd like to be a bird and fly... but considering her affinity for running around on all fours and chirping like a cheetah, I was skeptical.  Clara would neither answer questions nor bang the Gong.  She's playing it cool.  I've noticed however, at every Gonging in after, my kids have joined in the screaming and clapping.  Takes a little time to warm up.
School here is a revelation. They both love to go.  Not unusual for either, but there's an extra level of excitement going here.  A friend who is also new to Rumbai mentioned that her son thinks he's going to camp every day.  I think my kids feel the same way... they are learning but managing to fit in lots of fun at the same time. 
Nora has phys ed AND art every day, and recess is never optional.  In spite of heat and skeeters, the students all play outside together at recess.  I love to see the dynamic that forms between all the kids, no matter what the age.  Clara is madly in love with a friend's 11 year old - I caught her whispering kisses to her the other day.  Nora is finding time to work on a long term art project, but not losing continuity because she is able to work on it daily.  She's taking martial arts twice a week after school, working with nunchucks and a battle stick.  I caught her disemboweling a pillow with a bamboo stick the other day.  Poor pillow.
We are currently living in a guest house with other new familes close by.  We are already running back and forth between houses without thinking twice.  As I type, Nora and Clara and new best buddy Cormac ran out the back door to the playground in the middle of the complex.  Please note that I am sitting in my living room ignoring them.  THIS is glorious!  For all of us.  No kidding, new independence for Nora and her tag along little sister.  No worrying for me or Pete. 
Unless Travis the alpha male macaque comes along.... but that's another blog post.
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment